Empire of Gold by Andy McDermott

Empire Of Gold - Andy McDermott

Now this more like it. After the experience I had with the book before this one, I was a bit relieved to see this book focus more on the actual search for treasure than on the general fight against the antagonist. Don't get me wrong, though, there is plenty of fighting and shooting and all-around survival tactics, including at least one thing blowing up, but this storyline was more about the initial find, because everything pretty much revolves around the location of the empire of gold. Else Dorado. And I mean everything. Because the finding of this miraculous place will begin a series of events that ultimately could change our characters forever. And not in a good way.

Now this is where I get my angry/confused/sad/URRGH! face on, because I so desperately want to read the next book in the series.But I can't. Due to finishing a few other books I am currently in the middle of, I will have to wait to see how things are going to turn out. It's sad, but true. (Now I have Ursula's song from The Little Mermaid stuck in my head.) This is why I love cliffhangers. They work me up to the point where I just have to read more. (Some of you might not consider the ending of this book a cliffhanger, but I do.)

I think what I like most about this book in the series was how it reminded me so much of when I read The Cult of Osiris. It was my first experience with this author and probably one of the most magical I've had in a while. There was just something about the characters and the search that amazed me and fed the archaeologist/egyptologist inside my mind. It was so great to go back to that memory. And hopefully this continues on for me throughout the rest of the series. But if not, I will still read the other books with relish, because there is just something about them that absolutely floors me every time.