Legally Undead by Margo Bond Collins

Legally Undead (Vampirarchy Book 1) - Margo Bond Collins

I love writing about vampires. More specifically, vampire hunters. And one of my favorite scenes I have written involves a kickass heroine, a seedy bar, and some snide comments from her band of fellow hunters, a group of men who don't seem to have ever really grown up. I love this character, she has a special place in my heart and always will. So it was really cool to read a book starring a main character that reminded me so much of my own.

The dialogue in this book is so wonderfully written. Elle is just plain sassy. What else can you call a girl from New Orleans? She makes the story worth reading, and her first three vampire kills are almost eye-rollingly funny. I mean, I wanted to yell at her for doing what she did in both, but she's so effective that in the end all I could think was "Hey, it worked, can't fault her for that." And the snark from the rest of the characters throughout the story is entertaining as well.

I thought it was quite ingenious to make blood-sucking leaches kill blood-sucking leaches. Okay, so I really have nothing against lawyers, but I thought the concept was truly hilarious and just couldn't stop laughing every time it came to mind.

All I want to add is that Elle is lucky her fiancé was bitten, then changed, by a vampire, because at least after that she was able to see what a jerk he was. I mean, most people have to marry the person to find out their true personality. Or at least the undiluted version of their personality that they kept dimmed down until the rings were put on. Hey, at least I am finding the whole light in the dark with this whole fiancé eaten by vampire thing, right?

There was a sense of surprise when I found out the release date for this book, because I thought I had definitely seen it out before then. I mean, this book has all the makings of the beginning of a bestselling series that you see in bookstores and talked about on daytime or morning talk shows. It is reminiscent to me of Kim Harrison a little bit and just has that special something about it that made me at least instantly love it. It makes me want to read every single book that comes out after this one because it is just that good.